Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Jumper

The piercing sounds from the alarm clock rung throughout the room; I struggled as I began to part myself from the entangled sheets which had secured me in my previous slumber. The next thing I knew I had found myself sitting in the same plastic off-white desk which I always sat in since the first day of school. This wasn’t a dream, nor was it a mind trick formed by boredom. I distinctively recall feeling the comfort of my own bed underneath my resting body, the sound of my ferrets’ nails scratching their paws into the plastic floors of their cage, the melodic music which surrounds me as I sleep. This was something different; something merely impossible for a human being to accomplish (or that of any life form on earth to be frank.)

As I grew curious of what had happened that morning I began to question if it was even real. It sounded as if I had superpowers. But go around telling even a single student on campus that and they’d believe you’re nothing but a nutcase. “Be reasonable,” I had told myself “if I truly had superpowers I would have been able to perform such acts of the supernatural behavior before; wouldn’t I?”

By the end of the day I had become tired and just wanted to go home. Waiting for my ride was killing me. I had become grumpy and annoyed after I received a call from the person who was supposed to pick me up half an hour after the time we agreed upon to meet up. I was told that I’d have to find another ride home since they had forgotten about the carpool that day. By now all I could do was imagine my bed and how comfortable I had felt that morning. I closed my eyes and dropped my bag along with everything else I was holding. There was no noise. The serenity of silence in which became my escape from the stressful day had become too peculiar. I felt as if I was where I wanted to be, home. I slowly re-opened my eyes and noticed a completely different environment surrounding me than that I was in previously. The grin I had placed upon my face earlier was now the great smile of relief. My eyes re-closed and I reached over my shoulder for my bed sheet. This wasn’t a dream; I had discovered the ability to teleport. No longer would I have to worry about being late for anything anymore.

No comments:

Post a Comment